Early decals 1987
early decals © 1987
In the mid 80s I had an opportunity to do some experiments in making on glaze decals, (as an open workshop participant at the Northern Rivers College of Advanced Education, Keen St Campus). After some research in the basics of water slide decals I used my screen printing skills to produce a series of designs using up to 8 colours. Above are some of the results achieved at that time. I used clear decal lacquer ( a product I was aware of from my screen printing experience at Original Displays Brookvale where I worked as a printer during 1974-5) as the enamel medium and the covercoat. This resulted in very flimsy decals but they worked Ok. No other studio potters were doing this back then. I was in later years that I could procure overcoat and 4 colour process colours.
see also Vitrifying the Virtual
Roaring Beach. 1999
By 1999 I was experimenting with large 4 colour process decals as used in Roaring Beach and Hartz Mt wall panels. By this time more interest had developed with studio potters utilising on glaze decals and raw materials were more readily available.